Thursday, January 25, 2007

Catching up with a buddy

As the plane made its final descent into Nashville, my eyes gazed out the small window to a part of the world I had never seen before. My eyes darted right and then left, playing peek-a-boo with the clouds, as they tried to help my brain register the images of Tennessee. Tiny homes, green pastures and ant-sized cars greeted me as the plane glided through the air. Then BAM! The plane’s tires screeched as they hit the pavement, signaling the start of what I expect to be an inspiring weekend. As soon as the flight attendant made the announcement about the use of cell phones, I turned on my cell to text Kellie Hwang, a fellow Chipster and former AAJA Voices buddy.

It's been almost a year since I've seen Kellie. But as soon as we saw each other at the hotel, it was just as we left it in Hawaii at the end of the AAJA convention. After a few brush strokes through my hair, I was off with Kellie to catch up. We chatted about music, food, Chips Quinn, more music and more food repeating to each other that we must absorb what we can from the Chips Quinn and Nashville experience.

Now at 8:33 p.m., as a newly named Chipster, I embark on my first night in Nashville. I raise my glass -- and my handy reporter's notebook -- and say, "Ya'll better watch out now."

-- Mariecar Mendoza, reporter, The Desert Sun, Palm Springs, Calif., and California Polytechnic State University

No comments: