Friday, January 26, 2007

Looking forward

The first day of orientation was a new experience for me. Not only was it my first time flying, but also flying alone. Traveling alone was unnerving, and arriving in Nashville was even more so. I didn’t know what to expect or whether I was in over my head. But as soon as I walked out of the airport gate, (program assistant) Kristen Smith approached me with a smile. I immediately was put at ease. Every person, both Scholars and Chips Quinn associates, are friendly, helpful and kind.

At the reception, I was able to talk with other Scholars, and I realized we are all in the same boat. We are all nervous, a little unsure and hoping to make a difference in our jobs or internships. It was refreshing to be surrounded by so many other students and graduates who have the same aspirations and goals.

I look forward to the rest of the orientation. I can’t wait to receive help and guidance from my coach. I want to find my own voice and distinct writing style. And, after hearing what previous Scholars said about the program, I am confident that this orientation will help me reach my goal.

-- Maria Miranda, reporter, Madera (Calif.) Tribune and California State University-Fresno

No comments: