Saturday, January 27, 2007

I could be in her shoes

One day that might be me. I definitely wouldn't mind being in Wendy Isom's shoes. Her name was one of the first to catch my eye on the list of orientation speakers. She is a reporter at The Jackson Sun, where I will be working soon as an intern. I had seen her byline online and in print thanks to my editor, who signed me up for a subscription to the newspaper. Isom covers many feature stories, and features helped sparked my interest in journalism. She also helps prepare video for the newspaper's Web site. She seems to have benefited from being at a publication with a smaller circulation because she has freedom to nurture her journalism talent. I am confident that I will learn a great deal from her, and I feel privileged to have met her before my first day as the new girl in the newsroom. (I mean the "local information center.") You learn something new every day.

-- Ashley Anthony, Spring Scholar, The Jackson (Tenn.) Sun and University of Houston

No comments: