Saturday, January 27, 2007

On the multimedia bandwagon

Today, I had an epiphany. It’s time to get my butt in gear and jump on the multimedia bandwagon. After hearing the fascinating presentations on the changing environment of the newsroom, I realized I must learn all that I can about multimedia. I need to learn about blogging, audio and video feeds and maybe even podcasts. Although I have a general knowledge of these, I do not know how they work.

It’s intriguing to see how fast the newspaper business is changing, but it also is intimidating. I don’t think I truly realized the extent of how connected the Web and the newspaper are until the presentations of David Ledford (executive editor, The News Journal, Wilmington, Del.) and the former Chipsters. As soon as I get home, I’m going to view the disk Ledford gave us and look into how to learn more.

On a different note, I was little surprised that I share the same opinion on the death penalty as Kenneth Starr. I don’t know why I'm surprised. I have little knowledge of him, other than his connection to the impeachment of President Clinton and the Monica Lewinsky scandal. I don’t believe we should abolish the death penalty, but I do believe it is in need of restructuring.

I also agreed with Starr when he said that one of the only real defenses in death penalty cases is self-defense. There are just some people who can not be rehabilitated, although the percentage is probably small. The problem is knowing who can be rehabilitated and who is incapable of change.

To end on a happier note, I loved talking with the former Chipsters and career coaches over lunch. (Career coach) Mary Ann Hogan, (alum) Sue Stock, Robbie Morganfield (of the Diversity Institute) and (alum) Kristen Go gave me so many helpful tips about generating story ideas for my county-government beat that I could have cried. I didn’t, of course, because that simply would be unprofessional.

-- Maria Miranda, reporter, Madera (Calif.) Tribune and California State University-Fresno

No comments: