Saturday, January 27, 2007

Why I'm smiling

Whew! Today was a long day. Sure, Karen Catone and Chipster alums warned me that the days were going to be jam-packed, but I don’t think anything could prepare me for this. And it’s only Day One.

With my head throbbing as it continues register all that I’ve learned today (though I must admit, the throbbing might be the result of last night’s visit to the Red Door Saloon), I find myself unable to stop smiling. I smile because Mark Silverman (editor of The Tennessean, Nashville) said it’s OK not to know how to do a job from the get-go because your career always should be a continuous learning process.

I smile because Meg Downey (managing editor of The Tennessean) is living proof that a journalist’s career is unpredictable.

I smile – and giggle – because John Quinn told me the “X-rated” story about Chips we weren’t supposed to know (and no, I won’t repeat it because I promised Mr. Quinn I wouldn’t).

I smile because I had the honor to sit through a history lesson conducted by John Seigenthaler of the First Amendment Center.

And I smile because David Ledford (executive editor, The News Journal, Wilmington, Del.) gave me a preview of all the possibilities I have as a journalist in this new era.

Yvonne Pingue, a Chips alum, friend and former AAJA Voices buddy, told me: “You’re going to leave orientation more inspired to do journalism.” She is so right.

-- Mariecar Mendoza, reporter, The Desert Sun, Palm Springs, Calif., and California Polytechnic State University

No comments: