Saturday, January 27, 2007

Learning from accomplished journalists

Today has been a very busy day, packed with a lot of useful information from many intelligent people. At times, I feel a little intimidated by all the accomplished journalists I meet, but I remind myself that they are here to help us young aspiring reporters.

I was delighted to hear from Meg Downey (managing editor, The Tennessean, Nashville). She spoke about managing her personal life along with her career. She mentioned that she decided to take a part-time job after having children. This is something I am struggling with. I want to gain all the experience I can, but I am torn between wanting to work full time and wanting to be home with my beautiful son. She told me that I could contact her if I had questions, which I will plan to do. She gave me hope that this issue I’m having can be resolved.

I also enjoyed hearing about the kind of person John “Chips” Quinn Jr. was. From the stories we’ve heard, it appears that he was a man full of life, a man who was not afraid to be himself. Sometimes, I see John Quinn Sr. in the hallway. I would love to approach him to ask him questions because I know he has some great stories to tell, but my shyness stops me.

I wish that I had the ability to not care so much about what people think of me. I think that is why I am so scared to start my internship. I hope that after this weekend is over, I will have more confidence in myself and in my writing career.

Listening to John Seigenthaler talk about our history was eye-opening. How much he knows is amazing.

I feel honored to be in the presence of such accomplished journalists. I only hope that one day I can have as much talent as they have.

-- Stephanie Armenta, Spring Scholar, The Arizona Republic, Phoenix, and Arizona State University

No comments: