Saturday, January 27, 2007

Ready to make the jump

I had a flashback today: I'm hundreds of feet above the ground. Below I see canyons and a river that looks like a blue skinny snake. It was about three years ago and I was in New Zealand about to jump off the second-highest bungee jump in the world.

It is still scary just thinking about it, but it was definitely an adventure. Some people think I'm risking my life. But to me, it was a definite thrill.

I was reminded of that moment when Meg Downey (managing editor of The Tennessean in Nashville) said these words, "Jumping off a cliff is more an adventure than a risk."

This orientation is getting us ready for our futures. And there will be times when we are looking below, ready to jump.

Mark Silverman (editor of The Tennessean) said, "You're never ready for your next job." I probably am not, but I'm definitely excited and looking forward to it.

I've learned a lot today, especially the importance of multimedia. I do audio and still photos, but it seems as if video is a growing trend online. I am excited to learn how to edit video. It might be a challenge, but I look forward to it.

-- Diana Diroy, Spring Scholar, The Oakland (Calif.) Tribune and San Jose State University

No comments: