Saturday, January 27, 2007

Words of comfort

Nerves are pretty much reducing my stomach to nothingness at this point. Before I arrived at orientation, I had my own expectations and those of editors at my internship newspaper to consider. Now, I am concerned about all the people I am meeting and coming to know as presenters, coaches and directors of this esteemed program. I want to live up to -- even surpass -- their expectations as a way to properly thank them for the time and effort they're putting into my career. It's scary to imagine that I might fail at any one or all three of these goals.

I thought that there was little any one could say to quiet my concerns or the never-ending gnawing of my nerves. Nothing can prepare you for jumping into your first job and finally getting to do what you've always dreamt of doing. You swim like crazy to get to the other side and don't take a deep breath until you get there. Or you sink. I am doing the backstroke like a mad woman.

A few words of advice are actually calming my anxiety. I think it really is true that life gets better when you realize that you have no control over it.

I'll take this advice to my internship with me, keep it in mind on all my assignments and even find a way to apply it to all other aspects of my life.

You cannot change who you are. You don't decide what will be asked of you. But how you handle it is up to you.

Thank God for small favors and words of comfort.

-- Tara-Lynne Pixley, Spring Scholar, The Greenville (S.C.) News and Florida A&M University

1 comment:

Grey Collective, Member said...

Yeeeeaaa Tara, go get em...we love you!