Saturday, January 27, 2007

I see the future

Day Two in Nashville and, despite my late-night escapades at the devilishly fun Red Door Saloon,(which I highly recommend), it was not marked by a hangover but by an eye-opening presentation. Coming into this experience, I knew I wanted to ask a lot of questions. I planned to prod the minds of the seasoned journalists, hoping that just a sprinkle of their wisdom would rub off on this "green" reporter. The biggest question I had -- one I feared I'd be afraid to ask or unable to find an answer for -- was where journalism is headed and where I fit in. Today, David Ledford, executive editor of The News Journal in Wilmington, Del., showed me the future. It looks dynamic: Newsrooms transformed into "local information centers," plasma screens and video cameras, audio slide shows and interactive news being produced by the minute. Whoo! I will admit that as a bit of an old soul I had questioned how or why newspapers wanted to change. I refused to believe that my generation has no interest in newspapers with our incessant need for reality television, You Tube and all things Britney. I am excited to learn about all of this new technology and eager to see how far it will let me take some of my stories. I also have decided that David Ledford would be a great boss to work for. That brings me to another panel, but I have already written enough.

Until tomorrow.

-- Connie Llanos, reporter, Daily News, Los Angeles, and California State University-Northridge

No comments: