Thursday, February 1, 2007

An abundance of gifts

The weekend makes me optimistic about the future of journalism and about my own future in the field.

The friends and mentors I have made amazed me so much, taught me so much and made me laugh so much. Ashley (Anthony) was brave to be the first to recite the First Amendment. It helped to have Stephanie (Armenta) to share our fears of fast-paced dailies since we have worked only at magazines. When I learned that Kellie (Hwang) and Mariecar (Mendoza) also belong to the Asian American Journalists Association, I felt comfortable sharing that already-established connection with them. (I'm excited to have the same connection with Chips Quinn alums).

Deanna (Dent) showed me her photography project and gave me tips on getting into photography. At odd hours of the night, Maria (Miranda) and I shared our experience of studying journalism and discussed how my classes in Hong Kong emphasized different things from her classes here. Maria (Zamudio) and I talked about traveling and going abroad; I hope she has a wonderful time in Beijing (try fried scorpions!).

Tara-Lynne (Pixley) is a fabulous dancer and I loved her contagious energy. Connie (Llanos) is fun and hilarious; it inspires me that she tries hard and asked for so much advice about getting more feedback on her work throughout this orientation. She'll be an amazing editor and mentor herself one day--I'd work for her :) Craig (Henry) impressed me when he talked about how direct he is with his editors about what he wants to learn. I hope I can one day be that assertive. And I hope to one day acquire as many new media skills as Brian (Aguilar). Alex (Burris) is one of the sweetest people I've ever met, Gabby (Gonzalez) is passionate and inquisitive, and Diana (Diroy) packs so much energy into her tiny self.

I hope that the skills and traits that I admire in my fellow Chipsters have rubbed off a bit on me. And I hope that I have contributed something to someone while I'm here.

It's sad that orientation's over now but I know that we'll stay connected in some way. I'm looking forward to also learning from the dedicated, passionate and knowledgeable network of mentors we now have.

-- Cathy Tran, Spring Scholar, The Orange County (Calif.) Register and University of California-Santa Barbara

No comments: