Thursday, February 1, 2007

Photographers are journalists, too

Working outside in the chilly Nashville morning, (Spring Scholars) Deanna Dent, Tara Pixley and I practiced lighting with Chris Viola, a photojournalist and Chips Quinn alum. Working in a small group was intimate and I learned a lot.

"Hold the flash a little bit closer... now a little bit to the right," we said to each other as we took turns practicing with transmitters, off-camera flashes and an umbrella.

Chris was a great teacher. He told us about graduating from San Francisco State University, having five internships, job hunting, how to hunt for feature stories and how to light a subject with one off-camera flash. The session will be beneficial to my work in the field at The Oakland Tribune.

After "Lighting 101" we headed to the auditorium for the Loie Legacy Awards. The beautiful ceremony recognized Dick Thien as the amazing human being he is, and left many of us watery-eyed. Hearing from people who know him touched my heart and made me feel as if I know him, too. I talked to the other scholars and all said, "I wish he was my career coach."

Meeting people like him, and like John Quinn and John Seigenthaler (founder of the First Amendment Center), inspire me. They are journalism, and their presence and words urge me to follow in their footsteps toward the pursuit of truth.

-- Diana Diroy, Spring Scholar, The Oakland (Calif.) Tribune and San Jose State University

No comments: