Thursday, February 1, 2007

Ready to jump in

So, the question is, Are we ready? I hope so. Yes, we’re going to make mistakes. Yes, we’re going to have to work nights and probably weekends, but we’re going to be fine because of this program. I’m ready to get my feet wet.

Orientation has helped prepare us for our internships more than I ever imagined. I never knew I would be joining a family when I became a Chips Quinn Scholar. I wasn’t fully aware of the extent or strength of the support system I have repeatedly heard about at each session. I am glad I can call it my own.

I plan to use to my advantage everything I have been exposed to throughout our training. I can already see myself weeks into my internship, looking over the notes I took, using the books provided for us (Thanks for the new stylebook!) and checking in with my career coach and others.

That’s the beauty of this program: None of us will be alone. Not only do we have the people behind CQS to help guide us, but we also have each other.

This is just the beginning. The relationships we formed this week will carry through from tomorrow to the moment we get our first jobs and to when we’re called upon someday to serve as mentors to future scholars.

-- Ashley Anthony, Spring Scholar, The Jackson (Tenn.) Sun and University of Houston

No comments: