Thursday, February 1, 2007

Support as great as a pyramid

In a little more than one and one-half hours orientation will be over. I wish it could continue for another six months.

But now it’s time to arm myself with the care, knowledge and support that Karen Catone (CQS program director), Kristen Go (CQS alum), Jack Marsh, John Quinn and all the other speakers provided. It’s time to march into the world and newsroom with confidence and determination.

I entered The Daily Advertiser’s newsroom about a month ago feeling lonely, scared and overwhelmed. When I return to work tomorrow I won’t feel any of those.

The support the Chips Quinn staff provides is comparable in magnitude to a Great Pyramid in Egypt: large and overreaching. I feel confident. I feel like me for the first time in a long time. I feel like a journalist. I’m ready.

-- Alexandria Burris, reporter, The Daily Advertiser, Lafayette, La., and Louisiana State University

No comments: