Thursday, February 1, 2007

A network of support

This morning I got a text message from Chips Quinn alum Erik Lacayo, now of The Fresno Bee, that said: “I read your CQ blog. Stop whining.”

I’ve known Erik since high school, when we both worked for our school’s paper, The Raider Review, so I read that text and laughed. I laughed because one, I know he wishes he were here and two, he’s working on a Saturday.

On a more serious note, the text reminded me of how important it is to stay in contact with people you know in the business.

As I look around me, at my fellow Chipsters, I’m excited by the idea that one day I can be working with one of them (or for them).

Sure, the journalism world can be cutthroat, but it’s nice to know that I’ve got at least 14 Chipsters, Mary Ann Hogan, John Quinn, Kristen Go and so many others associated with this unique program to lean on, look up to and learn from. You guys will forever be a part of my career.

P.S. For the record, I keep in touch with Erik because he’s Erik and not just because he’s a journalist – honest.

-- Mariecar Mendoza, reporter, The Desert Sun, Palm Springs, Calif., and California Polytechnic State University

No comments: