Thursday, February 1, 2007

Deep gratitude

Oh no! It's almost over. As the hour of my departure from the nation’s music capital nears, I think of all the people I've met, everything I've learned and the good times spent with the Chipsters.

Last night we learned how to line dance. The Wildhorse Saloon was an atmosphere I hadn’t experienced before. I'm glad I tasted the delicious food, heard the country music (with a hint of Montel Jordan) and photographed the dancing.

The photos and line dancing didn’t stop with the saloon. We went to a few more spots and spent most of our time at one place waiting to sing, "I will survive" on karaoke. Sharing two microphones, a dozen of us girls sang our hearts out.

This morning, it was really good to hear from Jack Marsh and (alums) Chris Viola, Kristen Go and Manny Lopez about their first days in the newsroom and things we should and should not do. I start at The Oakland Tribune this week with a mixture of emotions: excitement, nervousness, anxiety.

Two words cannot truly express my deep gratitude to the Freedom Forum and the Chips Quinn Scholars Program, but I will say them anyway. For all the relationships I built and lessons I've learned, thank you.

-- Diana Diroy, Spring Scholar, The Oakland (Calif.) Tribune and San Jose State University

No comments: