Thursday, February 1, 2007

Never stop learning

The most valuable thing I have learned at orientation is to never stop learning. No matter what your skill level is, there is always someone who can teach you something.

I hope to continue to learn every day. When I return to my job at the Argus Leader, I will be sure to ask the people around me for tips and pointers. How could I have improved that story? What would you have done differently?

People look at stories in many different ways. It's not a bad idea to get feedback from a variety of people. I want to take the extra time to ask for feedback from my editors, mentors, peers, readers, family and anyone who is willing to give me pointers to improve my reporting and storytelling.

If you stop learning, life is boring.

-- Craig Henry, online journalist, Argus Leader, Sioux Falls, S.D., and University of Oklahoma

No comments: