Thursday, February 1, 2007

Showing, not telling

The Wildhorse Saloon was the perfect setting for photos, dancing and fun.


In just a few hours I’ll be on a plane back to California. As I sit here typing my final blog entry I am drawing a blank. Maybe it’s because we’ve done so much in so little time that I’m at a loss for words.

Or maybe it’s because I’ve had such an amazing time here – in Nashville and as a participant in the Chips Quinn orientation – that I can’t think of any words that could possibly define how much fun I’ve had and how much I’ve learned.

So instead of writing it here, I’m going to show you what I’ve learned through the articles I crank out every day.

For the moment, I’ll tell about the non-journalism stuff I learned here in the music capital:

* I learned to line dance – almost mastering “Money Bags.”

* I learned that Jack Marsh is better than I am at line dancing.

* I learned a new cheer: “Hooooooooooooooooollllllleeerrrr and swoller!”

* I learned that I have a Nashville accent late at night (I’m a native Californian).

And I learned that country music ain’t all that bad.

-- Mariecar Mendoza, reporter, The Desert Sun, Palm Springs, Calif., and California Polytechnic State University

No comments: