Thursday, February 1, 2007

A case of reach exceeding grasp

The most valuable thing I learned at orientation is that attitude and the desire to learn are as important, if not more so, than any specific journalism skill or piece of knowledge.

Just a few months ago, I tinkered with the idea of applying to science graduate school. I love science research and have done it enough to feel confident that I could do well in that field. I majored in biopsychology, conducted research for years, presented at conferences, taught junior high science and wrote chapters for a science textbook.

Journalism, however, is a different story: I took only a few journalism classes while abroad. I don't know AP style (yet). And I have never written for a daily newspaper, not even a college paper.

It's a bit scary to leave something that I was happy, comfortable and successful with to pursue something so uncertain. But something tells me that there's a chance that I'll love newspaper journalism.

The thrill of writing for a newspaper, the opportunity to educate a general audience about science, and being a part of an exciting, rapidly changing environment (including the incorporation of new media), makes this path worth it for me.

I've realized here that it's OK that I have less journalism experience than my Chips Quinn Scholars cohort. It’s OK that I likely will have less experience than other interns at my paper. It's OK because I have goals that I'm passionate and excited about. I'm willing to learn and work as hard as I can to develop the skills to accomplish those goals – and that's what's important.

I'll leave here with less nervous energy and fears, more confidence and excitement and a new group of friends and. Thank you.

-- Cathy Tran, Spring Scholar, The Orange County (Calif.) Register

No comments: