Thursday, February 1, 2007

Moments of human connection

John Quinn with Scholars (left to right) Mariecar Mendoza, Craig Henry, Stephanie Armenta, Connie Llanos and Ashley Anthony.


I have learned so many things during the past 56 hours at Chips Quinn orientation.

I have learned about the First Amendment from a man who not only embodies all that it stands for, John Seigenthaler, but also who is passionate about preserving it. His energy was truly inspiring.

I have learned that there are things about a career in journalism that I really didn’t understand until this trip. Given the challenges that our field is facing, it has been informative and refreshing to see so many talented journalists, working, retired, and those who have moved on to executive positions, who still believe in the future of journalism.

Learning about the five graphs from Kristen Go was great. I plan to use those principles immediately in my writing.

I have written to my web editor to let him know that as a result of my Chips Quinn experience, I have some material to bring to the discussion of online media in our newsroom. I was afraid of applying for a spot on the recently announced online team, fearing it would be perceived as arrogance to assume I belonged on that team. Now I am confident that I have something to offer.

Ironically, it is not the lessons on journalism that I will take with me after we leave tomorrow.

Karen Catone, Kristen Smith (administrative assistant with the CQS program), Jack Marsh (vice president/diversity programs for the Freedom Forum) and the lovely and charming John Quinn have repeatedly mentioned how we are now a part of a family. That is a statement often said yet rarely displayed.

Today, as I watched the tears flow during the tribute to Dick Thien, I could not help but cry, too.
But my tears were not sad. I cried because moments like that, moments of human connection, are so hard to find.

I thought about my connection to someone I have never met. As I heard Mr. Quinn talk about his son Chips, I couldn't help but think how incredible it would have been to meet and talk with him. Yet his memory will live on through my career, as it has in the careers of 1,033 journalists in the last 16 years. I hope to make him proud.

-- Connie Llanos, reporter, Daily News, Los Angeles, and California State University-Northridge

No comments: