Thursday, February 1, 2007

A man I wish I knew

John Quinn thanks Dick Thien for his years of encouragement and support of the CQS program.

I’ll devote my time to talking about Dick Thien – a man I wish I knew. He’s retiring as a career coach with the CQS program. In a bittersweet tribute, everyone talked about how wonderful Dick is and how devoted he was to his students.

The tears got to me. Everyone who talked about him cried: his son, (CQS Program Director) Karen Catone, Kristen Go. It was as if these people got to share something special that my class is missing out on.

It seems like Dick touched almost everyone in that room. I’m not sure what he did. Everyone said he gave honest criticism and a pat on the back and a kick in the pants when needed. We got to touch a tiny piece of him through Karen and everyone else who spoke.

-- Alexandria Burris, reporter, The Daily Advertiser, Lafayette, La., and Louisiana State University

No comments: